Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Quilting


I started a new quilt this week and realized that I never shared the last one I made. In the midst of moving during the holidays, I decided to make my mom a quilt for Christmas. And I even finished it in time for Christmas with a few days to spare!

I used this tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew and used only fabrics I already had in my stash except for the back. I must have really loved her quilt because I pinned it twice on Pinterest and didn't realize they were the same quilt!

I've always stippled my quilts but decided to do something different this time. I free motion quilted the borders and straight line quilted the blocks. Honestly, I didn't love the straight line quilting. It definitely made for a much less puckered back but I just really like the crinkly look that stippling creates.
Now I'm working on a scrappy log cabin quilt using this tutorial from Red Pepper Quilts.

Of course, I'm piecing the blocks only using fabrics from my overflowing scrap drawers. I've done a lot of rainbow-ish primary colors quilts so this time I'm trying to go with a different color scheme...pink, yellow, green and blue with gray sashing. I'd really like to make a queen size quilt for our bed but that's a whole lotta blocks to piece! But it would look fabulous with my gold chevron curtains, don't you think? (that's the view from my sewing desk in our bedroom...don't hate)


No comments: