Monday, February 21, 2011

All Things Vintage

We live in an old (1940's) and funky little house so I think it's sort of natural to be attracted to things that are vintage and funky. The majority of our furniture is from yard sales and thrift stores and is older than we are. Partly because we like the idea of recycling, partly because we usually only have money for used, and partly because old and weird is just our taste.

I'm sure it's no surprise that we frequent thrift stores. We're lucky that we have 7 thrift stores within about 3 miles of our house! Over the last few months I've been collecting vintage sheets with the intention of making sundresses for the girls.

Some of these sheets are HUGE. I could probably make sundresses for the whole family including Crafty Papa! Since I knew I'd have plenty of fabric, I decided to use some of the sheets to make some sweet tote bags. They're extra large so they'll hold a ton of stuff and I just love the ruffle down the front.

My current favorite thrift store purchase is our new dining set.

I know it's not everyone's taste. Hell, even Crafty Papa doesn't like it! But it works perfectly in our multi-purpose sewing/dining/homeworking/playing room and it's in excellent condition. There are 7 chairs and the vinyl is in excellent condition on all of them and there are two leaves for the table. The best part? I got all of it for only $75!

Now I just need to sell the two dining tables and 4 chairs that I already own!

3 comments:

Tonya said...

I can't even begin to tell you how much I LOVE your new table and chairs!!!! Awesome!

Jona Giammalva said...

I'm with Tonya!! What a great set!! Wow!!

Stephanie said...

I'm in love with those bags you made. Great job--and I'm a new follower!