Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thoughts?




I drew up a pattern and whipped up this underwhelming grey number in about an hour this morning. I know the grey is totally blah, but I went in with really low expectations and didn't want to use my good fabric.

So, what do you think? Too pregnancy-esque? I like feminine detail in clothing but is the shirring around the collar too much? Do I look like a 30 year old in a little girl's shirt (or a 36 year old if you ask my new coworker-yeah really, she thought I was 36 or even older!)? Should I do my hair and makeup before future pics so I don't scare you?

I'm kind of conflicted about it. I like the style and think it's comfortable. It would look really cute in some of Amy Butler's bold Daisy Chain prints or even in some of Sandi Henderson's florals. My main concerns are the shirring around the neck looking too young and the pregnancy issue (but isn't this the style right now? I don't know, maybe I'm getting too old to know what the style is). I feel like it looks good head-on but not great from the side (good posture would definitely help the issue).

I was thinking about adding a little applique to the hem of this one to spice it up. Bella came in and said, "Hey Mommy, that looks nice (in a surprised tone). You should add some kind of picture to it like flowers or a princess crown or something." Not really the applique I had in mind but totally adorable that we were on the same page.

On a side note, let me tell you it's crazy how much I look like my mom in these pics. I'm going to see if I can find an old picture of her and post it later today for comparison. She'll love that, right? Oooo, and even better if my dad is in it.

8 comments:

Shanna (aka sjl202) said...

Eh . . . I am just not feeling it. I have seen better from you Kelci! I have!!! Seems like your boobs are caught up in the top and they want out to me. Hey . . I am brutal! LMAO!

Tonya said...

I love the shirring and the basic structure of the top. I think it would look better if you lowered the neckline some. And I totally think you can rock a princess crown in the corner lolol Seriously, a pretty edging around the bottom would look great.

Kelci said...

Haha Shanna! Tonya, it's funny you mention the neckline because I was playing around with it a bit ago and that was on my list of adjustments. I definitely think it's just kind of "blah" and I don't know how much of that has to do with the gray, boring fabric. I think I'm going to make one this afternoon with cuter fabric and see how it looks. I'll lower the neckline and maybe move the gathering on the bodice down a little so my knockers don't look like they're suffocating.

Julia Ladewski said...

a little plain, but the pattern is ok. it does seem more maternity-ish. i bet if you dressed it up a bit it would really perk up!

Marie said...

cute...way better than anything i could come up with on my own...but it definitely reminds me of my maternity tops. I agree on the neckline issue, lower it, make it a v-neck or something and then try a cute colored tank or cami underneath so that it peeks through to get rid of the blah a little. Seriously though, I'm totally impressed. I can't make anything for myself.

Kristi said...

yep...neckline needs some adjustment. I'm not crazy about it, but I think it might just be the blah grey and your posture (hey, you said it first!). Try the cute fabric and I bet I'll change my mind.

Anonymous said...

You are a great seamstress and totally ambitious! Definitely a lower neckline (scoop or v-neck) and how about a contrasting band at the empire waist? Would probably be much more complicated to sew but wouldn't do the boob thing so much that Shanna mentioned. Check out some of the looks here: http://www.bodenusa.com/en-us/Womens-Tops-and-T-shirts.html Several of the styles remind me of the direction you are going with this top and might inspire you:) And, yes, you do look like how I remember your mom looking when we were little girls! Isn't it scary when you see that in yourself and you hear yourself repeating their words sometimes, too? I have been there on both fronts!

Anonymous said...

I have found that anything with an empire waist makes me look pregnant...this said after having 3 kids. I think a shirt of that style would look great on a teenager, just not on a mom like me. :)