Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Revised



This is what I worked on this afternoon.

I lowered the neckline in the front and raised it in the back. Narrowed the bottom hem a little and ended up taking in too much so I had to vent the sides to accommodate my big mama hips (and I don't really have any idea how to vent). Gathered around the torso only in the back, so as not to suffocate my lovelies. Waxed hair and applied face paint.

Keep in mind that I'm relying on a 5 year old as my photographer. Thus, the self portrait bathroom pics.

So, I'm planning to wear it to work tonight. If it's bad, tell me now. If I look like one of those people on "What Not to Wear" who hasn't purchased new clothes in 12 years and just wears what they find in the trash or can get for less than a quarter, tell me. I'm going out in public like this so really, you have a social responsibility. I'm not sensitive at all about criticism on something like this so bring it on.

ETA: So, I wore the shirt to work last night and my teenaged coworkers did not make fun of me so that's a good sign, right? I was brave and asked them what they thought and after initially disliking the gathering in the back, one of them said,"Well, I guess it does hide your love handles well so it's good." Gee, thanks.
As much as I like the look of this fabric, it's a sateen or something else that isn't 100% cotton and it wrinkles too easily. I think the whole thing would work better with a softer cotton that hangs better.
Last thought. I'm really used to doing rectangles or a-line shapes for kids clothing. Kids don't have curves. I'm definitely a more hour glass shape and for some reason, it didn't occur to me to make my pattern that way. I can't take it in too much at the waist because it still needs to fit over my girls but I think I might add that little revision next time. Thanks for all of the feedback!

9 comments:

bethtrue said...

I think its darling; wow you're impressive. Love the fabric and I think the neckline is just right! Great idea to just gather it in the back. C U T E !! Have fun wearing it out! Great color on you too!

Heidi S. said...

O.K. Here's what I think, great fabric, love the colors. Shirring in the back is fabulous, gives you the shape you want without cutting you in half in front. The sleeves, well, i think they could be lengthened just a bit to hit your arms just a few inches lower, and maybe more level instead of angled up. Anyway, I think you did a great job and I really like it.

Marie said...

Wow! That is awesome! I want one! Much better the second time around! I love the fabric choice with your dark jeans and all the changes, mainly the lower neckline are great. I'll bet you get compliments tonight at work!

Anonymous said...

Ooh la la! Really cute, Kelci! Love this fabric for clothing and the shirring in back is great! I think the same style would be cute sleeveless, too, then you could put it with a cardigan or jacket or something. Overall, excellent job!

Heidi S. said...

Oh! And I noticed on your ticker that you've lost 8 lbs! Yeah!!! Way to go!! You Rock!! 8 lbs is a LOT!! You deserve balloons & flowers & fabric & stuff.

Mallory London said...

I WANT ONE TOO! LOL

Mallory London said...

LOVELOVELOVE your jeans too! Where did you get them!??!

Tonya said...

VERY cute! Love the new neckline and the shirring in the back is perfect. Gets rid of the maternity look of the first one. The fabric is beautiful too.

Kelci said...

Heidi, it's funny you mention the sleeves because that was on my list of revisions. I totally realize that they're hitting me on the fattest part of my arm. Anyway, I ran out of fabric so I could lengthen them - in fact, you may notice the trees are growing the wrong way on the sleeves because I didn't have enough fabric left to get the direction right!
Mal-the jeans are from Walmart:) I think they were about $18. Lee Riders Copper I think. I love them! I'll see if I can find them online for you.