Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thursday Night Crocheting Club

Right about now, I'm wishing this was an actual club instead of just me.

I started and finished Matea's hooded vest in one day. She was able to wear it but it looked really funky, kind of puckering and lumping up here and there. Then it occurred to me that maybe I should have actually counted my stitches. Like, maybe that's the reason the stitch count was in the pattern. I'm not embarrassed to show you my fine work but I really can't find the vest anywhere. I suspect Tater secretly threw it away to save us both some misery.

I immediately moved on to an adorable cropped cardigan for Bella. The pattern only goes up to size 4 so I picked a thicker-than-called-for yarn, thinking that would increase the size just enough to fit her at size 5. Not so. I finished the back piece and thought it looked huge. I couldn't try it out on Bella at the time so I just kept crocheting away, moving on to the front pieces. About half way through the left front piece, I realized I had forgotten to change hooks in between the vest and the cardigan and I was crocheting with a hook 3 sizes too big.

The back piece is 8 inches larger than called for. The cardigan (minus the sleeves, which I gave up on) fits me. I'm a size 10 misses. I was shooting for a child 5. A pink, red, and orange variegated yarn isn't really my color. So, I can keep going and Bella can wear it in 25 years
or I can throw it in the dumpster with Tate's vest.

This is why I need a club. So I can sit around and talk, eat baked goods, and not actually try to crochet anything. But since I'm alone in this venture, I'm starting another freakin crochet project as soon as I post this. Maybe I'll make Crafty Papa a willie warmer. That way when I screw up and it ends up 5 sizes too big, he'll just think I'm complimenting him. My parents are going to read that and vomit in their mouths a little. And Shanna, I picked the sock monkey one just for you:)

8 comments:

Jen Patrick- Roxybonds Scrappin said...

LMAO- just the thought.....

Anonymous said...

I have never.....
and they've sold 8!

Tonya said...

LOLOLOL A willie warmer? I think I may have to make that for dh as a joke. That is toooo funny lolol

Yeah, gauge is really important with knitting and crocheting. You *must* follow the directions ; )

Jona Giammalva said...

Holy smokes! She's making money off of those things!! I wonder if I could make a pattern? I mean who wouldn't want a Willie Warmer made from Amy Butler fabric (it would be great for a lightweight spring style)? Hmmmmm.....

Lori said...

OMG Kelci. Too funny!

Keeley Kirwan said...

ROTFLMAO...I'm speechless...LOL!!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA Love it! Trying to think who I need to buy a gag gift for this year! Thanks for the laugh Kelci!!!

JESS from BBC

Shanna (aka sjl202) said...

Oh my . . ok not sure if I should be 'grateful' that you thought of me by choosing the 'sock monkey' one or not . . hum. But seriously? People are buying those? WOW! LMAO!