Sunday, June 22, 2008

Quick Update

I did a little bit of sewing today and just added these new items to my shop. First, a messenger bag featuring an appliqued natural linen flap and some more of the fabric I bought from Japan.










































Then, after making mini rag quilt lovies for my girls today, I thought, "Hey, I should totally make a few for my shop"-I actually said it out loud but no one responded. I listed this Sundrop one and plan to make a few more tonight. I find unusual excitement in getting the rag quilt out of the dryer and seeing it all fluffed up. It's the small things that entertain me. And, they're priced really well at only $12.99.


































And my other project this weekend was really special. You may remember me mentioning on the blog last month that my neighbor died very suddenly. A few weeks ago, I told his wife, my good friend, Sharon, that if and when she was ready, I would be happy to make her 5 month old grandson a monkey lovey from Grandpa's old jeans. She told me she wasn't ready yet but would definitely be up for the project later. She showed up at my door unexpected last week and handed me the jeans through tears. It had been so hot recently, I was totally avoiding my craft room and the crazy heat in there but really wanted to finish the monkey this weekend since Baby Jacob was visiting. The heat finally broke this morning and I was able to take the monkey across the street and see how much emotion it brought out in Sharon. A very special project.

6 comments:

Kristi said...

OMG. I'm seriously sitting here with tears in my eyes. That monkey is so freakin' awesome. I'm sure it will be treasured by baby Jacob and their entire family.

Hmm...watching that messenger bag until hubby gets paid...looks like a great "teacher going back to work after two years at home with her children" pick-me-up!

Marie said...

What a sad, but sweet story! That was a wonderful thing you did for your friend Kelci. That monkey is so adorable-I'm sure it will be treasured forever!

That rag quilt is sooo cute-I love the prints you used.

Anonymous said...

I think it is so sweet that you made the monkey for your friend's grandson. How precious that he has that reminder of grandpa for when he grows older. What a keepsake it will be!

Tonya said...

The monkey is so cute, Kelci. What a sweet idea for Jacob to remember his grandfather.

Check out my blog, I gave you an award : D

Keeley Kirwan said...

Kelci that was very thoughtful of you and that little monkey will be treasured forever!! You are a wonderful friend!!

Gretchen McStreusel said...

Kelci, that is tooooo sweet. I was just wondering this morning if my mom has anything left from my dad and wishing that, if so, I knew how to make something out of it. What a great gift.